ONE-Pot VEGAN CHICKPEA SHAKSHUKA...
Updated: Jan 24, 2019
Ready in 30 minutes, crammed with nourishing veggies and spices, and served with fresh bread, this vegan chickpea shakshuka – a twist on the traditional Berber dish – makes a perfectly delicious and comforting brunch or supper. Add potatoes or grains on the side, and a green salad, and you have a hearty, filling dinner.
Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Total 35 mins
Yield 4 servings
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· 1 large onion
· 2 large red chillis, sliced (see note 1)
· ½ tsp coconut palm sugar, chopped
· 5 cloves garlic, smashed
· 300g (c.1¼ cups) passata
· 240ml (1 cup) water
· 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped (see note 3)
· 2 tbsp tomato purée
· 1 tbsp ground cumin
· 1½ tbsp smoked paprika (see note 4)
· ½ tsp cayenne pepper
· ½ tsp sea salt
· ¼ tsp ground black pepper (plus a few grinds for finishing)
· 300g (c.2 cups) cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
· 100g (c.3½ oz / c.¾ cup) whole (or stuffed) olives
· 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
· 2 tbsp fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped (save a little for finishing)
· 200g (c.7 oz) firm silken tofu, cut into rounds (see note 5
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet, and then sauté the onions, chillies, and sugar over a medium heat for 5 mins or so, until the onions start to brown.
2. Add the garlic, and continue to sauté until the raw garlic smell has gone.
3. Stir in the tomato puree, water, chopped tomatoes, and the tomato purée. Bring to the boil, then immediately reduce the heat.
4. Mix in the cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt, black pepper, chickpeas, and olives, and give everything a good stir.
5. Check the seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, and/or cayenne if desired.
6. Simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the parsley and coriander.
7. Place the tofu rounds on top of the shakshuka, and gently press down so that they're partly submerged
8. Cover the skillet, and simmer for another 7-10 mins, until the tofu is warmed through.
9. Finish with few grinds of black pepper and some torn coriander leaves.
10. Serve immediately with fresh bread.
11. Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the 'fridge for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Sodium 728 mg
Total Carbohydrates 43 g
Dietary Fiber 11 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 14 g